Gas Formation – Preventive Measures
- Avoid eating too rapidly and too much or while under emotional strain and drinking large quantities of liquids with meal. Laxatives and purgatives should be avoided.
- Avoid gas-forming food such as:
- Vegetables like cabbage, cauliflower, cucumber, onions, peas and radish.
- Fruits like apple, melon, banana and also other fruits which are bitter or sour.
- All types of sour juices, sour buttermilk/curds, soft drinks, tea and coffee.
- Pulses like chana and rajma, pickles and spices.
- Off-seasonal vegetables and fruits which are cold stored.
- Consume non-gas forming food such as:
- Treatment for immediate relief:
- Drink a glass of warm water or cleansing drink (boil 1 cup water, with 1 tsp saunf 1/2 tsp ajwain. 10 mint leaves and then add little black salt and juice of 1/2 lemon before drinking) and walk for 5-10 minutes.
- Lie on abdomen and practice yogic asanas pertaining to the abdomen like, Pavan Muktasana, Bhujangasana also help.
Flatulence is a sign of gases stuck in the intestine due to disturbed digestion as a result of habitual eating of unwise food mixtures and combinations, besides sedentary habits and lack of exercise.
This is a condition which arises in the stomach purely as a result of habitual eating of excessive quantities of refined, fried, starchy, sour, spicy and sugary food. When excessive quantities of starchy and sugary food are taken, as they always are in conjunction with…