Since most of the people are sitting in the chairs in offices they do not have a chance to sit folding the knees. So we need an asana which can strengthen the legs. Padmasana is the one which is much suited for that. It provides a good workout, is good for your mind and breathing, conditions the body and core, and increases flexibility. To build strength, muscles need to be challenged to their max. And while yoga can be strenuous, it has its limits. Although using only your body weight can be challenging when you first start doing padmasana, your muscles quickly adapt, so the benefits diminish over time.
Padmam Means Lotus. Asanam indicates the seat which in turn indicates sitting in a position without any movement (Lotos Pose).
Procedure of Padmasana:
- Sit on the floor and stretch the legs.
- Now hold the right leg in both the hands, fold the legs slowly and place it on the left thigh.
- Make sure that the feet touch the navel.
- Likewise fold the left hand, hold it with both the hands and place it on the right thigh close to the other.
- At this point both the knees should touch the floor and the foot should face upwardly. The spinal cord should be straight at this point.
If you feel difficulty in sitting in the posture for a long time you can change the legs and then sit on the same position. Spinal cord should be erect, both the hands should be together or put the palms facing upside on the knee joints and the thumb must touch the index finger and the other fingers should face the upward.
Do this padmasana for one minute then open the eyes slowly, open the palm then release the left leg first then release the right leg. Stretch the legs and relax. Do this asana for 15 to 30 minutes.
Warning : –
Should not bend the body while doing this asana.
Padmasana Health Benefits :-
- Padmasana is the highly preferred asanas by yoga practitioner for increase the focus of mind and concentration.
- It helps Calms the brain.
- It increase the hungry
- Helps to relax the body
- It stretches the ankles and knees
- Helps to stimulate the abdomen, spine and bladder
- This asana is the base for all asanas and it strengthens the hip and knee joints of the female and can get painless peaceful mind.
- The unwanted fat will be reduced in hip and the thigh.
- It stretches the spine.
- This is the easiest asana which can be done by all the age group of men and women they can get benefits of all asana.