One Yogasana which is important for keeping this heart-healthy is Surya namaskar. Surya namaskar is a most important place in yoga as important as yoga is important to the world. Though there are hundreds of asana in yoga. Surya namaskar is a wonderful cardiovascular workout that combines the collection of most important 12 yoga postures. Here are the Surya namaskar yoga steps names, procedure, benefits and the perfect time to do it. Check them out!
Any thought that arises in the brain is always considered related to the heart. Love, affection, hatred, sadness or any other feeling is related to mind. But the heart is just an organ of the body. So why are thoughts arising from the brain are related to the heart?
When a human fetus is formed in the womb the first organ to develop is the heart. Four small chambers are formed and the heart starts beating. Only then, all the organs are formed. We store all our feelings in the firstly formed organ the heart.
Surya means Sun, Namaskar means salutation. People who are not acquainted with yoga may think that Surya Namaskar means saluting Sun? Certainly, we have to salute Sun. It is obvious that we have to thank the Sun who sheds his light on all forms of life without any discrimination.
Surya namaskar yoga is very beneficial to our bodies. Without considering the religious factor this should be practiced by everyone. Yogasana is practiced without any discrimination of religion, caste, country, and language for the health of our body. The most important asana of yoga asana is Surya namaskar.
Surya Namaskar Yoga Steps Name With Procedure
- Stand straight and cross your hands in front. This is called namaskar mudra. This is Pranamasana (Prayer Pose).
- Bend forwards. This is Anjali mudra. This asana is Hasta Uttanasana (Raised arms pose)
- Bend forward and without bending the knees touch your feet with your hands. This is Padahastasana or Hasta Padasana.
- Extend your right leg in front and look ahead. This is called Ashwa Sanchalanasana (Equestrian Pose) or Eka pada pranamasana.
- Move both your legs back and place your hands on the floor like push up pose. And your hands must be extended downwards. This pose is Dandasana.
- Next lay flat on the floor such that all parts of your body are touching the floor. Lift your hips slightly. This is called Ashtanga Namaskar.
- Now lift your head and chest and look ahead looks like cobra pose. This posture is called Bujankasana.
- Move both your legs back and make a mountain with your body like the English letter V. This pose is Parvatasana.
- The next few steps are Dandasana, Ashwa Sanchalanasana, and Hasta Padasana. These are just the reverse of the asanas done in the previous steps. Finally, after namaskar mudra put your hands parallel to your body.
This is actually one complete cycle of Surya Namaskar.
Perfect Time To Do Surya Namaskar
- Surya Namaskar must be done at dawn or early morning (between 5.30 to 6.00 AM). Doing Surya Namaskar during sunrise by moving your body can refresh your body. This can be done during sunset as well.
- Surya namaskar should be done on the empty stomach only. You must not eat anything before doing Surya namaskar.
- If keeping your right front and back and then the left leg front and back is considered as one cycle, it can be repeated up to 6 such cycles.
- If you perform Surya namaskar 6 times in the morning and six times in the night, you would not require any medications or exercises.
Surya Namaskar Benefits
- Surya Namaskar gives the benefits of all the asanas. Even if you don’t perform other asanas, it is enough that you do Surya Namaskar alone.
- It balances the blood flow to the body and refreshes all parts of the body.
- It is beneficial for all parts of the body including heart, liver, intestine stomach, chest, throat and legs.
- This is the best exercise to reduce weight without using any equipment.
- When teenage children practice this they are relieved from stress, anxiety, and tiredness during exam time.
- It strengthens the muscle in growing children. It is a good exercise for the legs and spine for a sportsperson.
- Surya Namaskar helps to regularize menstruation.
- It reduces wrinkles on the face and brightens it.
- We can conclude that Surya Namaskar keeps the body healthy and mind fresh.