Urinary Tract Infection (UTI)
The urinary tract consists of kidney, ureters (connecting kidney to bladder), bladder and urethra (linking the bladder to the outside). UTI is more common in women than men. The factors promoting infection are poor genital hygiene, pregnancy, stones, obstruction and instrumentation of the urinary tract, Diabetes Mellitus, promiscuity and stasis of urine (e.g. as by neglecting the urge to pass urine) etc.
Upper UTI involves the kidneys (Pyelonephritis. Glomerulonephritis etc.). These conditions require medical intervention as they are serious and can lead to renal failure.
Lower UTI can invoke the kidney bladder or urethra. Infection of the kidney bladder leads to increase in frequency of urination both during day and night (nocturia) urgency, difficulty in passing urine (Dysuria), pain in the lower abdomen and lower back.
There may be fever with chills, blood and pus cells in the urine and a sharp pain at the end of urination. An infection in the urethra causes burning sensation on passing urine, Dysuria, pus cells in urine.
Urinary Tract Infection (UTI) – Upper UTI Treatment
Preventive measures (can be applied for upper and lower UTI)
- Maintain adequate fluid intake and output – drink 8-10 glasses of water.
- Proper genital hygiene – care should be taken when using public toilets and during ablution. Avoid contact of genitalia with any possible source of infection.
- Special care during pregnancy.
- Prompt treatment of other predisposing factors.
Treatment for Lower (UTI) – Preventive Measures
- Fasting and increased fluid intake.
- Mud/towel pack on abdomen frequently.
- Chest pack to bring down temperature.
- Kidney pack to improve urinary output.
- Sitting in a warm water tub for 15 minutes. (neutral hip bath is a remedy to palliate pain and burning sensation).
- Wet Girdle pack 2/3 times a day during an acute phase and later, once before going to bed for an hour.
- Diuretics like tender coconut water, butter milk, barley water and dhania (dry coriander seeds) water can be given.
The prostate gland is an organ made up of muscular and glandular structures which surround the neck of the male bladder and the first part of …