The simple asanas which were done by the ancient people preserved the blood circulation, nervous system, reproductive system, kidney functioning, bones and joints and also the inner and outer parts of the body were maintained in a good condition. Instead of this it also strengthened the mind and soul of the people and has given good thoughts. Now let us discuss about one among that called Salabhasana (Locust Pose).
Reason for the Name:
In the word salabhasana, salabham means grasshopper. While doing this asana the body becomes like a grass hopper (Locust Pose) and since it gets the name.
Before Doing Salabhasana
- We should do this only after excretion in the morning.
- Clean up our mouth and drink little water.
- We should not have food before doing asana.
Procedure of Salabhasana
- Lay down on the mat upside down.
- Make sure the stomach and the face touches the ground and keeps both the legs together.
- Stretch the hands backside the body and it should touch the body.
- The fingers should be folded. Don’t bend the hands and keep them down the thighs.
- Then make sure the face alone touches the floor.
- Inhale the breathe deeply and slowly and lift both the legs slowly as much as possible.
- Be in the same position for about 20 seconds and then exhale the breath slowly and come back to the normal stage. Repeat this exercise for 3-4 times.
Breathe: Inhale for 2 seconds, after lifting the back fully hold it for 4 seconds, then release in 2 seconds.
Benefits of Salabhasana:
- It helps to reduce the abdominal excessive muscles.
- It helps to strengthen the back muscles.
- It helps in maintaining the spinal cord bones and refreshes the spinal cord.
- It strengthens the neck muscles and rectifies the neck pain, defects in the neck joints.
- It encourages the digestion by improving activity of the inner parts of the stomach.
- It helps in rectifying the urinary disorders and gives relief.
- It strengthens the reproductive system.
- It helps in strengthening the uterus to those ladies whose uterus is to be strengthened.
- It helps in correcting the menstrual problems and leads to normal cycle.
- It strengthens the hip bones and reduce the excessive thigh muscles.
- It helps to decrease constipation.
Do’s and Don’ts while doing Asana:
- We should wear loose, easy and clean cloths.
- We should do it slowly and then increase step by step.
- While doing asana any part should not be kept tight and the muscles should be kept loose.
- We should select a place where there is good air circulation and clean flat surface.
- White or any coloured mat which gives pleasant feeling to the mind.
- Pregnant ladies and those who have undergone heart surgery should not do it.
- Obese people can do this.
- While doing asana if there is any pain, we should stop doing it and take rest and then we can do it again.
- While doing asana, we should not breathe in mouth. We should only breathe by nose.
- It can be done in the early morning from 4.00 am to 6.00 am.