This breathing exercise controls and balance the breath, gives energy, refreshment, clear mind and it enrich the soul. With the help of some breathing exercises, our breath improves the assimilation and elimination process. These six breathing exercises are the base of the Pranayama. They are Nadi suddhi, Jeeva suddhi, Prana suddhi, Pandhana suddhi, Kanda suddhi, Soham suddhi.
The lungs contain 600 million air-sacs and hundred square meter in size which is protected by the rib cage. These ribs are connected to spine in back and to keep the lungs safe. This lung takes the oxygen from the fresh air to the bloodstream and brings out the stale air to the outside. Here we will see about the Nadi Suddhi breathing exercise.
What is Nadi Suddhi?
The breath taken by the left nostril is known as Idaikalai and the breath taken by the right nostril is known as Pingalai. Left nostril breath is cooling and Right nostril breath is heat. If we concentrate our breath, it flow any one side of the nostril, at that time other nostril won’t take breath. After sometime the next nostril will take breath and the other wont. Sometimes both of the nostrils will take breath, which is the symptom the breath will going to change to any one nostril. Thus our body heat will be spontaneously balanced by these alternate nostril breathing.
Procedure for Nadi suddhi Breathing Exercise:
- Sit in Padmasana or sit in Vajrasana who cannot sit properly in Padmasana.
- Close the left nostril by left hand thumb exhale the breath fully by the right side nostril.
- Then inhale the breath form right side nostril, it must be a gentle process not too fast or too slow.
- Fill the lungs with full of wind then close the right side nostril by the left hand center or index finger and exhale the breath by the left side nostril fully.
- Now Inhale by the left side nostril and fill the lungs with full of wind then close the left side nostril exhale the wind by the right side nostril fully.
- This is the one round of Nadi suddhi. You have to do at least ten to twenty times. If the person likes to do more times, then they can do that also.
Benefits of Nadi Suddhi Breathing Exercise:
We can deeply inhale the breath while doing the nadi suddhi , the air-sacs of the lungs is with full of air. During this process the all of the air-sac filled by the air and it brings out the impurities from the lungs. So the oxygen which is taken from the air flows in blood stream and it is refreshed.
- As pure oxygenated air is breathed into the lungs with each cycle, the blood gets purified and circulation improves. We can get strengthen lungs and increase the overall capacity. The Oxygen is taken from the air is mostly used by the brain the mental health will increased.
- The best benefit of Nadi suddhi gives the deep sleep and to strengthen the immune system which prevent illnesses like cold, headache and fever.
- It will give the Brightness to face, can protect sinus and other nose illness
- Lifelong we will be protected from the TB. During the deep inhalation diminish the TB infection.
- To get rid of the bad disease asthma, Nadi suddhi is the best practice.
- Breathing is a spontaneous process the air will be taken by the nostrils oxygen will be absorbed by the body and carbon dioxide will be released.
There is no warning for doing Nadi suddhi. All age group people can practice this. The inhale process takes the fresh air, it improves the blood circulation. The digestion process will improve and the energy is absorbed fully.
The carbon dioxide is coming outside during the exhale process. The bloodstream flows throughout the body. The remaining impurities which are in solid, liquid and gas form are flow out. Yogasanas and Nadi suddhi are balanced these two processes.